100 years after the Unification of Italy
By a happy coincidence, UPIVEB was founded exactly one hundred years after the Unification of Italy. It was November 28, 1961, at 11 a.m., when Mr. Botta, Mr. Panzeri, Mr. Cornudet, Mr. Castelletti, Mr. Fontana, Mr. Marro, Mr. Perinetti Diamanti, Mr. Giannone, Mr. Puccioni, Mr. Landra, and Mr. Erlotti signed the founding act of the Italian Association of Fasteners Manufacturers at the Office of Notary Giacomo Chiodi Daelli in Via Nerino, 3, Milan. As planets were formed through a slow process of aggregation in the solar system, UPIVEB was also founded as the result of the rapprochement and fusion between the independent associative components that represented the different product categories of the Italian "fastener" sector.
Così come nel sistema solare i pianeti si sono formati con un lento processo di aggregazione, anche l’UPIVEB si è costituita come il risultato dell’avvicinamento e fusione tra le componenti associative indipendenti che rappresentavano le diverse categorie di prodotti del settore “fastener” italiano.
FROM THE FOUNDATION OF UPIVEB TO TODAY
BOLD PIONEERS, A CLEAR VISION
- Drafting of the first UPIVEB Statute and establishment of the Association (28 November 1961), with nine member companies
- First structuring into four Product Sections: Screws for Wood, Screws for Metal, Self-Tapping Screws, Bolts and Nuts
- Under the visionary presidencies of G. Diamanti and C. Agrati, the focus is on fostering an open andproactive dialogue among members, on analysing and protecting the reference markets of each Section, and on initiating institutional dialogue with European Fasteners Manufacturers and their associations. These three endeavours remain central to the Association’s activities to this day. Fasteners e le relative realtà associative. Tre attività che rappresentano anche oggi il “cuore pulsante” dell’Associazione.
EMBRACING A EUROPEAN VISION, RELATIONS, STANDARDISATION SUPERVISION
- Progressive implementation of the Statute and expansion of the Product Sections to include Stainless Steel Fasteners and High-Strength Nuts and Bolts
- Establishment of the EIFI, European Industrial Fasteners Instituteon 6 September 1977, in collaboration with the GermanDSVFrench (CSBVF), English (BIFF) and Austrian (BIB) associations, along with the participation of companies from 14 European countries
- Creation of the UPIVEB Technical Office in collaboration with UNI, (Italian National Unification Body), marking the initiation of proactive supervision of technical standardisation
- During F. Botta’s presidency, national awareness-raising actions at government institutions grew, the Association’s reputation in the European and international arenas continued to strengthen, and the first UPIVEB Press Release was published, representing a milestone in the association’s communication strategy
GROWTH; SERVICES; QUALITY
- Creation of two additional Product Sections: Raw Bolts and Fasteners
- Expansion of services provided to Members: market studies and statistical data analysis, dissemination of information and updates on laws and regulations, definition and revision of sector-related technical and regulatory documents at various levels such as UNI, CEN and ISO
- A. Landra’s presidency is characterised by a growing focus on enhancing the competitiveness of Members in foreign markets through the promotion of the quality of Fasteners Italian-made fasteners. This focus remains integral to the Association’s mission and vision.The network of relationships with public institutions and the press is broadened to raise awareness about the Italian Fastener industry. Fastener.
TOWARDS THE NEW MILLENNIUM, CHALLENGES AND IDENTITY
- Creation of three additional Product Sections: Hot Forged, Threaded Tubular Rivets and Washers
- Launch of the Italian Fasteners magazine in 1994 and the UPIVEB website in 1998
- Introduction of Newsletter a monthly Members
- Development and implementation of collaborative projects with EIFI: unique barcodes Fasteners, analysis of theFasteners Quality Act” and the restructuring of the Association
- The Presidencies of W. Fontana and E. Fontana lead the Association into the New Millennium amid growing uncertainty and upheaval. Despite the challenges, the Association does not lose sight of its purpose, consolidating its identity., It actively participates in the drafting of the government decree "Recognition of good technical standards for the manufacture and testing of fastenersfasteners,” strengthens collaboration with national distributors, and establishes the first committees tasked with developing activities that extend beyond product-centric initiatives.
INSIDE THE NEW MILLENNIUM, INSIDE THE NEW VALUE STREAMS
- Reorganisation of the Association’s operations with the introduction of three new Product Groups: Group 1 – Fasteners (includes Self-Tapping Screws, Screws for Metal and Rivets); Group 2 – Nuts and Bolts (High strength, Hot forged, Raw Bolts and Washers); Group 3 Fasteners Stainless Steel
- Support to EIFI in the procedure that culminated in the publication of Regulation (EC) 1890/2005which imposed an anti-dumping duty , on imports of stainless steel products from China, Indonesia, Taiwan, Tailandia e Vietnam.
- Active participation in the EIFI Working Team EIFI to file an anti-dumping complaint. antidumpingcomplaint. This effort resulted in the publication of Regulation (EC) No. 91/2009, which imposed an anti-dumping duty , on imports of carbon products from China, later extended to include Malaysia
- Collaboration with the UNI for the acquisition of the Secretariats and Coordination of the Working Groups (WG) Working Group) of ISO/TC 2 “Fasteners” (2011): WG 13 Washers and non-threaded fasteners, WG 17 Stainless steel fastenersand publication of all the technical standards related to fasteners fasteners
- Publication of the first edition of “Condizioni Generali di Vendita per i Produttori di Fasteners“
- During the second part of E. Fontana’s presidency, and with the arrival of S. Pirovano, the Association continues to strengthen its membership base and to consolidate its structure. Notably, they achieved significant milestones such as the publication of the book "I Quarant’anni dell’Industria Italiana della viteria e bulloneria - Storia della UPIVEB"
A CHALLENGING DECADE, AN EVOLVING ASSOCIATION
- Companies in the Fasteners and Related Industries are invited to join the Association as Supporting Members in order to encompass the entire fastener value chain (2020) fastener (2020)
- Approval of a New Statute (2021) with a revision and strengthening of the UPIVEB structure, including the addition of the General Manager role, a transition from Product Groups to Market Groups and the establishment of new Operating Committees
- Strong support for activities concerning the European Association’s Trade Defence Measures, particularly in relation to Regulation (EC) No. 2/2012 on imports of stainless steel products from China and Taiwan
- Take over of the operational management of the EIFI Secretariat (2015-2022) EIFI (2015-2022)
- Organisation in Italy of the world conference "Fasteners Meetaly – Challenge the FutureFuture", which attracts substantial and high-calibre international participation (2015)
- Participation as an Exhibitor in major world trade shows dedicated to the fasteners industry (Italy, Germany, Brazil, China, Russia, and the United States)
- Collaboration with the Fondazione Promozione Acciaio for publication of the Dispensa “Bulloneria Strutturale” (2015), a monograph outlining the manufacturing methods, controls and tests, technical- regulatory frameworks and certifications applicable to fasteners used fasteners in the construction industry
- Collaboration with the UNI to assume the Secretariat and Coordination of the Working Group) of ISO/TC 2 “Fasteners” (2018): WG 18 Pre-applied adhesive systems for threaded fasteners
- S. Pirovano’s presidency confirms the Association’s commitment to expanding its presence throughout Europe and internationally, as well as its ongoing dedication to fostering a fair and transparent fasteners market characterised by high-quality standards and technical and technological excellence.
- In March 2021, following the passing of President Pirovano, G. Donati assumed leadership of the Association.
UPIVEB: THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE
- Expansion of the membership base: the Association currently has over 40 Ordinary Members and around 30 Supporting Members
- Strong drive towards the reorganisation of the European Association, culminating in the approval of the new Statute (May 2023), in the formation of Operating Committees and the active involvement of UPIVEB delegates in decision-making and operational bodies
- Confirmation of the operational management of the EIFI Secretariat for the four-year period 2023-2027
- Growing emphasis on contemporary social-technical challenges through the organisation of events, conventions and discussion panels on topics such as sustainability, e-mobility digital transformation and cohesiveness
- Gradual expansion of the collaboration with Universities, Associations and Non-Profit Organisations no-profit
- Review of the association’s communication strategy: new logo, new website, and social media presence (LinkedIn)
- Confirmation of the Presidency of the national Sub-Committee UNI/TC 031/SC 04 "Fasteners" and organisation of the annual Plenary Meeting of ISO/TC 2 "Fasteners" in Milan (2022)Fasteners” e organizzazione del Meeting Plenario annuale di ISO/TC 2 “Fasteners” a Milano (2022)